Confederate Lines

The earthworks nearby are remains of the 1861 fortification built to defend Mount Pleasant. They extended east 2.5 miles from Butler’s Creek at Boone Hall Plantation to Fort Palmetto on Hamlin Sound. Supporting this line were Battery Gary and those at Hobcaw Point, Hog Island, Hibben Street, and Venning’s and Kinloch’s landings. Federal troops occupied the town 18 February 1865.

Images

Map of Palmetto Fort

Map of Palmetto Fort

Image Courtesy of South Carolina Department of Archives and History View File Details Page

Confederate Earthworks

Confederate Earthworks

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Confederate Earthworks

Confederate Earthworks

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Town of Mount Pleasant Historical Commission, “Confederate Lines,” Mount Pleasant Historical, accessed July 24, 2017, http://mountpleasanthistorical.org/items/show/11.

Share this Story