Haddrell's Point

Haddrell’s Point extended along the waterfront from Shem Creek to Cove Inlet and was named for George Haddrell, an early settler. The land bordering Shem Creek became home to important industries including factories, canneries, and rice and saw mills. The mills drew their power from the tides of Shem Creek. In early 1776, a battery was erected at Haddrell’s Point and placed under the command of Brigadier General John Armstrong. The strategic location of the battery was vital in safeguarding Charleston from British attacks. With ceremonial fanfare, President George Washington embarked from Haddrell’s Point to Charleston, during his Southern tour in 1791.

Images

Haddrell's Point

Haddrell's Point

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Town of Mount Pleasant Historical Commission, “Haddrell's Point,” Mount Pleasant Historical, accessed August 17, 2017, http://mountpleasanthistorical.org/items/show/25.

Related Tours

Share this Story