John Boone owned this land by 1694, and the plantation that developed here passed in 1864 to Dr. Peter Bonneau, Confederate army surgeon and signer of the Ordinance of Secession. John D. Muller, Jr., a later owner, died in 1984 and set up a trust specifying that Laurel Hill be made available to benefit religious, charitable, scientific, literary, and educational groups.