Hibben House and British Occupation
A 1777 map shows a house on this property owned by Jacob Motte, Charleston City Treasurer. His 67 acre plantation called Mount Pleasant provided the name for the present town. James Hibben purchased the land in 1803. The home now known as the Hibben House is one of the oldest in the area. It has been extensively renovated and modified. Following the surrender of Charleston to the British in May 1780, General William Moultrie and other patriots were held captive near here. His memoirs recount a June 1780 meeting in the upstairs drawing room of Jacob Motte’s home with British officers, Lord Cornwallis and General Patterson.