In 1868, John Scanlon, a freedman, purchased 614 acres of the former Remley Plantation at auction for $6,100. He then founded the Charleston Land Company to provide land ownership to freed slaves. The tract was subdivided into a planned community with lots, numbered streets and avenues, and common areas such as a graveyard, park and a wharf called Remley’s Point.

Images

Map