In 1715, John Vanderhorst purchased 540 acres known as the Point for ₤360. So began a long line of ownership by this well-known Colonial family. By 1740, John’s son Joseph and 29 slaves lived at the Point and operated a successful livestock and timber business. The land remained in the Vanderhorst family until John’s granddaughter Mary married Joshua Toomer in the 1770s. The couple lived in the house at the Point. Joshua Toomer was an unwavering Patriot during the American Revolution. On one occasion, cavalrymen under British Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton came to the Point in search of Joshua. When they could not find him, the British soldiers carried off cattle, horses, and provisions. In 1997, archaeologists excavated the ruins of the Point, located at the end of North James Gregarie Road, and recovered hundreds of artifacts associated with the Toomer family.