Oakland Plantation, one of Mount Pleasant’s oldest plantations, is associated with some of the town’s prominent early founders. The land that became Oakland Plantation was part of 1,300 acres granted to Captain George Dearsley in 1696. In 1704, Antiguan planter John Perrie acquired 982 acres of the original grant and hired John Abraham Motte to settle this land he never visited. Motte established Oakland Plantation, then called Youghal Plantation after Perrie’s hometown in Ireland. Motte managed the property and was paid half the annual profits. Perrie left his estate to his daughter Mary, who sold the plantation to Captain George Benison in 1740. Benison built the house that stands at Oakland today. The house has its original crushed shell and sand fireplace and mahogany floors. Many of the window panes are etched with the names or thoughts of past visitors. An emissary of John Wesley etched “Exalt we O our God” in 1773. In 1755, Oakland Plantation became the property of Thomas Barksdale who immediately conveyed it to his son Charles. The plantation remained in the Barksdale family for nearly 100 years. Charles’ son Thomas Barksdale inherited the property in 1757 and lived there until his death in 1806. During his life Thomas Barksdale represented Christ Church Parish in the 16th General Assembly and served as a captain in the 30th Regiment of the state militia. In 1852, Youghal Plantation was conveyed to Thomas Barksdale’s granddaughter Mary and her husband James McBeth. Historians believe McBeth added the beautiful oak allee and changed the plantation’s name to Oakland. McBeth sold Oakland Plantation to Philip Porcher in 1859. Oakland Plantation is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and includes the main plantation house, kitchen, dairy, smokehouse, family cemetery, and slave cemetery.