By 1832, Milton’s Ferry offered a ferry service to and from Charleston by way of a canal dug through the marsh. The ferry tavern was a two-sided house with stables and carriage houses to ser travelers. A Bi-weekly stage ran from the tavern to Georgetown. The first ferry operator was William Mathewes, locally pronounced “Mathis,” as in Mathis Ferry Road.

Map