Now called Patriots Point, Hog Island played a crucial role in the defense of the Charleston Harbor. In 1775, Patriot forces were sinking old ships in the deep Hog Island Channel to block British access to the Wando and Cooper Rivers. They were fired upon by British ships in the first naval battle of the Revolutionary War in SC. This hostile act served to promote the Patriot cause. During the Civil War, mines were placed in the Hog Island Channel by the Confederates as a defense against Union ships. A Confederate gun battery on the tip of Hog Island also protected the channel. The island was gradually connected to the mainland by dredge spoil. The area was annexed by Mount Pleasant in 1975 and was later developed and renamed Patriots Point.