Greenhill

In 1870, freedman Hardy Green purchased 30 acres of land along Mathis Ferry Road. The area was called Spark Hill, but was later named Greenhill by the Moultrie School District. Children walked several miles to Laing School, then in the Old Village of Mount Pleasant. Greenhill received electricity in 1942, paved roads in 1951, and was annexed into Mount Pleasant in 1983. Farming was the major source of income in Greenhill. People, produce, and livestock were carried aboard boats from a dock behind Somerset Point to the Charleston City Market. In the 1920s and ‘30s, mules and wagons transported goods to a ferry at Shem Creek. The LOOP Bus became a major source of transportation in the 1940s. Greenhill continues to thrive as a residential community.

Images

1958 Greenhill Plat

1958 Greenhill Plat

Image courtesy of Charleston County RMC View File Details Page

Greenhill Community

Greenhill Community

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Town of Mount Pleasant Historical Commission, “Greenhill,” Mount Pleasant Historical, accessed July 24, 2017, http://mountpleasanthistorical.org/items/show/24.

Share this Story