Cove Inlet

Before the Revolutionary War, a plank bridge built on barrels was constructed across the inlet separating Mount Pleasant from Sullivan's Island. In 1864, the H.L.Hunley crew crossed the footbridge on the way to Breach Inlet to test dive the submarine. A trolley bridge spanned the cove in 1898 and was replaced by a vehicle bridge in 1927 known as Pitt Street Bridge.

Images

Cove Inlet Marker

Cove Inlet Marker

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Cove Inlet

Cove Inlet

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Pitt Street Bridge

Pitt Street Bridge

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Pitt Street Bridge

Pitt Street Bridge

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Cove Inlet Trolley

Cove Inlet Trolley

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Town of Mount Pleasant Historical Commission, “Cove Inlet,” Mount Pleasant Historical, accessed August 17, 2017, http://mountpleasanthistorical.org/items/show/16.

Share this Story