The Cooper River Bridge

On August 8, 1929, a grand three day celebration and parade opened the first bridge to span Charleston Harbor. Built as a private toll bridge in 17 months for $6 million, it was a major link between Maine and Florida. With its steep inclines, dip, and sharp mid-way curve, the bridge was like a giant rollercoaster. In 1943, it was named to honor former Charleston Mayor John P. Grace. The state purchased the bridge in 1945 and removed the tolls.

Images

Cooper River Bridge

Cooper River Bridge

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Cooper River Bridge Opening Program

Cooper River Bridge Opening Program

Image courtesy of the Town of Mount Pleasant View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Town of Mount Pleasant Historical Commission, “The Cooper River Bridge,” Mount Pleasant Historical, accessed July 24, 2017, http://mountpleasanthistorical.org/items/show/14.

Related Tours

Share this Story