Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.
Fullscreen MapMap Show Current LocationMy Location

All Stories: 95

Elias Whilden, planter and mayor (1857-1858), built his home c. 1840. Five sons fought for the Confederacy, including John Marshall Whilden. John was Captain of the Citadel cadets who fired on the steamer, The Star of the West. This action on…

Indians living along the Wando River 1200 years ago made distinctive pottery using limestone and clay from the river banks. This type of pottery is found only in the Wando River Basin and is distinguished by the presence of limestone used to temper…

Coil baskets of native sweetgrass and pine needles sewn with strips of palmetto leaf have been displayed for sale on stands along Highway 17 since the 1930s. This craft, handed down in certain families since the 1700s, originally was used on…

At midnight on September 21, 1989, Hurricane Hugo, a category four storm, blew into Charleston County. Winds in excess of 140 mph, a massive 20 foot storm surge, and extraordinarily high tides ravaged the area. Hugo cut a swath 50 miles wide and 200…

The country home of Charles Pinckney (1757-1824), Snee Farm stands about 0.7 M. west of here. One of SC’s signers of the US Constitution, Pinckney also served in the General Assembly and in Congress. He was elected governor of SC four times and was…

The Shelmore Oyster Products Company bought Hobcaw Plantation in 1938. The company's goal was to "shell more and sell more" oysters. The land became a truck farm that produced vegetables for area markets. The firm also canned locally grown tomatoes…

A close relationship existed between the Jacob Bond family of Hobcaw Plantation and the owners of the nearby colonial shipyards. The plantation’s live oaks and longleaf pines were used to build ships. East and West Shipyard roads follow the route…

The name of this deepwater tidal creek is derived from the Indian word “Shemee.” The creek has been an important site for shipbuilding, fishing, transportation, and milling industries since the early 1700’s. Shem Creek was also known as…

The earliest documented owner of the property known as Seaside was Thomas Whitesides. A plat shows the property included a main house, a barn, other outbuildings, and a row of four slave cabins. The land was divided among his five sons in the 1790s.…

In 1868, John Scanlon, a freedman, purchased 614 acres of the former Remley Plantation at auction for $6,100. He then founded the Charleston Land Company to provide land ownership to freed slaves. The tract was subdivided into a planned community…

Guided by Booker T. Washington of the Tuskegee Institute, Julius Rosenwald, CEO for Sears and Roebuck, began a program in 1912 to build schools and vocational centers to educate African American children in the rural South. The Rosenwald program…

A ferry service connected Mount Pleasant to Charleston from the wharf at the end of Ferry Street (c. 1847) until the completion of the Cooper River Bridge. Passengers traveled by trolley from Ferry Street east on Pitt Street, across Cove Inlet to…

Share this Page